Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Snow Day!


Those words were music to my ears as a kid. We'd all come down to the kitchen and feel the wood stove kicking in, gather around the table and wait to hear if radio announcer Bob Steele would call out our school's name. Once we knew for sure, I don't recall ever going back to bed, maybe in my teenage years, but before that, we were out the door having a blast in the snow asap. I'm so grateful I grew up in a time when life was simpler. When you had a day off, you could play or read and maybe watch a little TV.Living in the country..it was all about the great outdoors.

Once we were out the door, it was time to figure out creative ways on how to entertain ourselves. There was the usual sledding or tobogganing down the hill over the big, beautiful man made pond that graced our back yard, or we'd build snowmen, snow forts, and sculptures. We also did a lot of shoveling and helping neighbors dig out. I don't think we ever complained. Later, back at the cozy farmhouse, we'd have hot chocolate or whatever goody our mother was cooking.

I especially loved walking in the woods on our huge property by myself. There is something so peaceful about snow. I think being among the trees and wildlife spawned my love for photography. I've always had a vivid imagination and could picture creatures and spirits peeking out behind the mighty spruce and pine trees.

What a great time to be a kid. It sure made me appreciate the little things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment