Saturday, May 28, 2011

Memorial Day

As a child, Memorial Day was a three day weekend, a chance to play and picnic with family and friends,a sign that Summer was closing in and that the end of school was near. Later in life it became a day to honor those who fought, and continue to fight for our country so that we can enjoy our freedom. In the last ten years it's turned into a special memorial for lost family members and friends.

This year, will be the tenth anniversary of my mothers death and the first for our dear family friend, and my sister Gerri's best friend, Fred. Joan {my mom} and Fred had quite a relationship full of quick wit and much sarcasm ..it made for many laughs..although it wasn't always funny. The fact that we honor them on the same day, May 30th, is ironic.I really wonder what bits of trouble they are causing, wherever they are and if Bonnie, Gerri, Jim or I will get some kind of message. I do believe in those messages from the other side. We shall see..

However you celebrate Memorial Day, I hope it's meaningful.





Mom, feeding General Nuisance and Fred with his beloved Bobina

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful post, Katherine. Hope your weekend is full of happy memories! With love and kind thoughts on this side, those friends and family members who have moved on to their next journey are never really lost. Sending you big hugs!

    ReplyDelete